5 Easy ways to Get Your Junk Drawer Back

We have all been at some point in a situation where somebody is coming to visit, a friend popping round to visit or a client coming to the office and as you look around, you notice all clutter and junk scattered throughout your space.

You then panic and grab as much as you can. With your hands overflowing, and cram in all the junk into the nearest draw.

Lynton Cleaning Services knows and understands why people have a junk drawer within their home. But what is in it? Do you have clue?  How can we buy things if we have no idea what we have?

Below are Lynton Cleaning Services 5 tips to sort your junk drawer and help save the pennies by not buying things you may already have. So, take the first step towards an organized life, get rid of the “junk” in the drawer today!

  1. DUMP IT ALL ONTO A CLEAN LARGE SURFACE THAT PUTS YOU IN THE WAY OF DAILY ACTIVITY.

The kitchen table or living-room floor are each a good example of surfaces you can use. They are large and typically clear of items. Also, most junk drawers are found in these highly used areas. Stay away from surfaces like the office desk, coffee table, or end table. You want somewhere that is often used. A place that will not allow you to get side tracked and leave it for days.

Rule of thumb here is, if leaving the stuff there you would force routine changes, then you are more likely to complete instead of avoiding the task. Anywhere that creates a “complete instead of avoid” reaction is ideal for organizing.

  1. DIVIDE THE ITEMS INTO “ROOM” SECTIONS FROM WHICH THE ITEM BELONGS.

I am a firm believer that 99% of the stuff in a junk drawer has an actual reason to be kept and a correct place to be stored outside of the drawer, where it belongs. The other 1% is designated to the actual junk drawer itself.

Problem is that most people create a “convenient space” out of it. And in my opinion, “catch spaces” should always feel wrong. A designated area is the place each thing calls home. There is no right or wrong way to do this. In fact, you already have done it for most things within your home. Where is your toilet paper? The place that just came to mind is the designated place for toilet paper.

If you have an object that you do not have a designated place for, then create one within the room you think it belongs. When in doubt think of the room you may be in when you need it. If that does not work and cannot find anything that has a similar use, then you have the first item for designated for the “junk” drawer.

  1. GET RID OF THE ITEMS THAT ARE ACTUAL JUNK!

If you would never use it, do not need another, or cannot determine its functional purpose then get rid of it. Donate it! Sell it on eBay! Bin it! Regardless the route you chose, the most important thing is to get rid of it. YOU DO NOT NEED IT! If the item itself, has no purpose or role within your life currently.

  1. TAKE EACH SECTION OF ITEMS TO THE ROOM FROM WHICH IT BELONGS.

Take the items to their home and place it in its designated area. Do NOT just put in it the room and think you will finish putting it away later. DO NOT allow yourself to think that it is more important to get the surfaced cleared and the sections placed in their rooms before you put them in their designated areas.

Take all the stuff for the bathroom to the bathroom and place each item in its spot. Then, go to the next room. If you do not do this, you are more likely to forget and end up with more junk throughout the house.

  1. ORGANIZE- THE DRAWER, AND “JUNK” THAT will be IN IT!

Find a spot for each item in the drawer. Look around the house for anything, not already being used, that could serve as an organizational divider in the drawer. If you do not have one, buy one!

If the drawer only has room for the items designated for it, you are less like to toss others in it. This helps remove the option of creating a “convenient space” again. It will promote the habit of putting items back in the correct place after use.

Everything needed has a place and plays a role. Things that do not have a place/ purpose, and you cannot come up with a functional one, you do not need it. This is a key concept that can be applied throughout life. Let us not forget, organization is not just cute boxes with multiple drawers or shelves with labelled folders. It is a simplified and functional approach to getting the most out of life.

Leave a comment